Information sent on behalf of Hampshire Constabulary:
Following reports of suspicious doorstep callers in the guise of offering gardening services, the Hampshire Constabulary have offered this advice:
- Do not open the door to someone you don't recognise or are not expecting
- If you do feel you need to answer the door, remember to:
- Lock the back door before you open ihefront door - doorstep criminals often work in pairs with one person distracting you at the front door, while an accomplice enters your home through the rear
- put the chain or bar on before opening the door - see who it is before you fully open your door
- ask to see the caller's identification - a genuine caller will not mind showing you their ID
- close and lock your door and call the umber of the company they claim to be from to check if they have sent someone to your home.
- remember: even if the caller is genuine, you do not need to allow them into your home. Ask them to arrange a future appointment, that way you can arrange for a friend or family member to be present
- You can arrange to have passwords set up with your utility companies. When a representative calls they will repeat this confidential word to you.
- Only call 999 if it is an emergency and 101 if it is urgent. If you can, use our online services at hampshire.police.uk.
- You can also report an issue to Trading Standards Phone - the helpline on 0808 223 1133, Monday-Friday, 9.00am - 5.00pm